Try the hiking time calculator and find out how long your next hike will take. This tool will help you calculate your average hiking speed depending on the distance and elevation gain of the hiking trail.
This walking times calculator is based on experience from numerous knowledgeable hikers who have shared their trail durations which later became a formula that is used here. I personally use this formula for most of my trails. My hiking time often hits right down the middle or a little closer to the fast hiking pace number.
This hiking time calculator will allow you to plan your next trip more accurately and give you an interval of time it would take you depending on the hiking pace. Try it out now!
Hiking Time Calculator: Imperial
Hiking Time Calculator: Metric
How To Use the Hiking Time Calculator
- Imperial vs metric: choose whether you want to use the imperial or the metric calculator.
- Length: enter the length of the trail you want to do in miles or kilometers.
- Elevation: enter the elevation gain of the trail you are planning to do in feet or meters.
- Slower pace vs faster pace: the formula calulates an approximate hiking time depending on the length and elevation gain you have entered. The times are based on a fast hiking pace and a slow hiking pace. Then they are rounded up to the nearest half hour.
- Hike time duration: the calculator will provide you with an interval of the potential hiking duration of your next trail, consisting of the fast pace hiking time and the slow pace hiking time.
What is the Average Hiking Speed of a Person?
According to the UK’s Ramblers, the average hiking speed of a person is around 2.5 mi (4 km) per hour, without stops. If you like this detail, you should also check out these amazing facts about camping, wildlife & wilderness.
A Quick Table of Average Hiking Times
Use this table to find out how long does it take to hike various distances depending on the length of the trail. The table gives you 3 outputs by different elevation gain: 500 ft, 1500 ft and 3000 ft.
|Hike Distance||500 ft elevation||1500 ft elevation||3000 ft elevation|
|1 mi||0.5 – 1.0h||1.5 – 2.0h||3.0 – 4.0h|
|2 mi||1.0 – 1.5h||2.0 – 2.5h||3.0 – 4.5h|
|3 mi||1.5 – 2.0h||2.0 – 3.0h||3.5 – 4.5h|
|4 mi||1.5 – 2.0h||2.5 – 3.5h||3.5 – 5.0h|
|5 mi||2.0 – 2.5h||2.5 – 4.0h||4.0 – 5.5h|
|6 mi||2.0 – 3.0h||3.0 – 4.0h||4.0 – 6.0h|
|7 mi||2.5 – 3.5h||3.5 – 4.5h||4.5 – 6.5h|
|8 mi||2.5 – 4.0h||3.5 – 5.0h||5.0 – 6.5h|
|9 mi||3.0 – 4.0h||4.0 – 5.5h||5.0 – 7.0h|
|10 mi||3.5 – 4.5h||4.0 – 6.0h||5.5 – 7.5h|
|15 mi||4.5 – 6.5h||5.5 – 8.0h||7.0 – 9.5h|
|20 mi||6.0 – 8.5h||7.0 – 10.0h||8.0 – 11.5h|
If you like this hiking time calculator, make sure to share it with your friends!